Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DAY 8 - AVACADO SWISS SANDWICH, BANANA RUM CREPES, CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE

AVACADO SWISS SANDWICH



It may not look like much, but it's sooooo good! My good friend Heather introduced me to this American staple in college. We made these sandwiches and then went on a hike at Poly Canyon at Cal Poly SLO.

Ingredients
  • 2 slices of toast
  • 1 avacado
  • 1 slice of swiss cheese
How to make Avacado Swiss Sandwich

  1. Slice the avacado in half, remove one half, then cut 3-4 slices and arrange on toast. Add a layer of swiss cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Finally, garnish with pickle.
Of course, I did not have any sliced swiss, so I used spreadable laughing cow swiss cheese. I also didn't want to waste my guac, so I used that in place of avacado slices.


BANANA CREPES WITH RUM SAUCE


I like crepes and just happened to have some ripe bananas around. Crepes were not something I had eaten until I was a quarter of a century old. I think they are a little more exotic than plain pancakes and because they are more difficult to make, are more appreciate. Of course I am still learning how to make these right. It's a heavy task without a proper crepe pan and crepe spatula.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • Butter
  • Icing sugar
For the Bananas
  • 4 Bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp rum
How to make the Crepes

1.
To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the eggs and 1 tbsp of sugar. Whisk together and slowly add the milk, whisking as you go.

2. To make the bananas, cut the bananas into 1/2 inch pieces. Melt the butter in a pan and add the bananas, ginger, and vanilla. Stir, and add the sugar. Cook for 1 minute, then add the rum and flambe until sauce has thickened and bananas are soft.

3. Melt a little butter in an extra frying pan and ladle in batter – cooking one crepe at a time. Allow approximately 2 minutes of cooking on the first side and 1 minute on the second - making sure they’re cooked through and golden brown on each side. Remove to the serving plates.

4. Spoon a little of the bananas onto the middle of the crepes before gently folding over and dusting with icing sugar.

I normally make this with apples or rhubarb, both of which ginger goes well with. A little water is added to steam the fruits and make a compote. I also normally make pancakes with this, so I'll beat the egg whites separately with half of the sugar until the peaks are very stiff, which is a method of making fluffy, all natural pancakes without using a leavening agent.



CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE


I've had homemade enchiladas twice. Once was my roommate Eleanor's who also used a corn salsa that I absolutely loved. I had never had a corn salsa before. It was a creative idea compared to the traditional tomato salsa. The other time was when our friend/neighbor came over for a dinner and made us her authentic mexican enchiladas (she was mexican).

I actually spent about 30 minutes figuring out if I wanted to make enchiladas or fajitas. Either way I was going to make my own tortillas. Since I have made fajitas countless of times, though with a packaged fajita mix, I decided I wanted to give enchiladas a try, as this whole 30 days of cooking thing was to get me out of my comfort zone and try new dishes.

It came out being one of the best tasting dishes I've made, 2nd only to Gordon Ramsay's Shepherd's Pie.

For the Chicken
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsbp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
For the Roasted Tomato Enchilada Sauce
  • 8 plum tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 garlic glove
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Shredded cheese
For the tortillas
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp olive oil

How to make the tortillas

1. Mix together all of the ingredients to form a rough dough. Knead this lightly. Leave, covered, for about half an hour - this relaxes the gluten and makes it easier to roll out. Divide the dough into five, and form each into a ball. Using some extra flour, roll them out nice and thin.

2. Put olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and have ready a clean tea towel. When the pan is hot, drop in a tortilla and cook it for one minute or so until the underside is patched with dark brown. Flip over and cook for another minute, then wrap it in the tea towel while you cook the next one. Keep adding the tortillas to the tea towel as you cook them - this keeps the steam in as they cool, and keeps them soft.

How to make the roasted tomato enchilada sauce

1. Place the tomatoes in a pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast under the broiler until brown. Flip and brown the other side.

2. Place tomatoes in food processor and puree. Mince the garlic and onions and add to puree along with the remaining ingredients except the cheese and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.

How to make the enchiladas

1. Heat olive oil in a hot pan. Dice the chicken. Add chicken and remaining ingredients to pan. Brown and cook all the way through.

2. Scoop some chicken and place onto a tortilla and roll. Repeat for remaining tortillas. Place them in a rectangular baking dish. Top with the enchilada sauce and cheese. Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with guacamole and more sauce.

Nutritional Information

Calories per serving 320
Servings 5
Fat 12
Carbs 23
Protein 32

No comments: