- 4oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 3 eggs
- 4oz brown sugar
- 4oz plain chocolate, broken up
- 4oz flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1oz walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp coarse marmalade
14.3g fat (7.5g saturated)
Method: How to make marmalade brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the base of a 8" shallow, square cake pan and line with butter. Using whisk, beat the eggs and sugar well in a bowl.
2. Melt the plain chocolate and butter in a clean bowl over a pot of simmering water, stirring halfway through. Add the flour, egg mixture, nuts and marmalade and stir in. Pour the mix into the pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until just set. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the brownies into 6 squares.
THE POMONA BURGER
3lbs chopped beef
1 onion minced
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp honey mustard
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp worchestire sauce
1. Mix ground beef with salt, pepper, onions, worchestire sauce, honey mustard, ketchup, and egg yolks. Mix well and form into patties.
2. Fry the bacon over medium heat until crispy.
3. Grill the burger patties for 10 minutes on each side
4. Place a slice of cheese on each bun and toast on grill
5. Assemble the burger and serve.
WHITE BEAN TORTELLINI WITH MORNAY SAUCE
1lb dried tortellini
300ml whole milk
60g cheddar cheese
To make the tortellini
1. Boil in water for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.
To make the sauce
1. Start by placing a heavy bottomed sauce pan on a medium heat and melting the butter. Once melted, add your flour directly to the pan (no need to sieve) and, with the wooden spoon, mix it all together to form a thick paste. If your pan is drying out (i.e. it doesn’t look oily from the butter anymore) turn the heat down or remove the pan from the heat for a moment.
2. Before you start, make sure that the milk is cold - this will stop your sauce from going lumpy. Now add the milk in thirds into the sauce pan - this will allow you to make sure that you will achieve just the right consistency. Add the first third of milk into the saucepan and stir with the wooden spoon. Once the milk has been mixed into the paste, add your next third of milk. When the paste has been diluted and becomes a liquid, replace the wooden spoon with a balloon whisk. Continually whisk so all the lumps disappear. Now add your last third of milk. You will need to whisk quite hard to get rid of the lumps so don’t be afraid of putting some real effort into it.
To make your white sauce into a cheese sauce
1. Add 60g of grated cheddar cheese. Add into your white sauce and whisk vigorously.
2. Once the sauce starts to boil, it will turn shiny. Season generously with salt and pepper and add a pinch of nutmeg for some extra flavour. Remove from the heat and your white sauce is ready.